//love// marriage musings

So I'm sitting here, trying to study infectious diseases, and my mind keeps on drifting to marriage. Successful marriages. Failed marriages. Marriage between Jesus and his bride. Marriage between me and ______(insert hunky, loving, man of God)

If anyone knows me, they know that I don't try to make it any secret that I am excited to be married to the man that God has planned for me. The idea of picking one person to do life with as long as I walk this earth is so exciting. But it's also scary. I would be lying if I said that I didn't have the (small) fear of having a failed marriage. I mean, just looking at the statistics and the prevalence of divorce, it's hard not to be a little scared...no one goes into marriage (hopefully) expecting to get divorced...and yet more than 50% of marriages end that way. 

I wonder if it is because people have unrealistic ideas of what marriage is going to be like, or the purpose for which God intended it. I think that apart from the companionship, physical intimacy, and fun times spent together (all of which I am looking forward to, by the way!), I think that marriage is intended to bring us closer to Jesus and to give us yet another platform to follow his example of sacrificial love.

I love (LOVE) watching wedding videos. I came across this beautiful one and was struck by something that the couple said. They said, "We know that marriage is a divine conspiracy for our transformation." Wow, what a beautiful reminder of the reality that marriage is not entirely about finding happiness in the other person, but in finding happiness in Christ alone, and seeking to draw close to and become more like him each day and to stir one another on to do the same.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

play me some mountain music.

Beautiful Letdown.

It's ok to not be ok.