a scripture a day keeps...the devil away?

It's really cool how God uses different people to speak into our lives. Recently, he has used one David Ovienmhada to inspire me to do something that has actually been on my heart to do for a while. Read through the Bible. Cover to cover. A year ago, my good friend Alexis decided that she wanted to read through the Bible in one year and I remember thinking "that's a really cool idea, but I feel like I know so much of the Bible that there is really no need to to read through the whole thing..." so I didn't. One thing that really struck a chord for me when David was talking to me was how he was able to learn a lot about the character of God through reading the Bible. He talked about how cool it was to then read about Jesus in the new testament after reading about God the father in the old and see how they really are one. Something about the way he described this really made me want to experience it first hand and not just take his word for it. So I am doing it! I am in the middle of Exodus and it is cool how God is humbling me by showing me things that my know-it-all self didn't actually know. I heard a sermon on sunday where my pastor gave some ways that we should aspire to read the Bible:
1) Systematically
2) Consistently
3) Conversationally
4) Meditationally
5) Expectantly
I think that I still have lots of room for improvement in numbers of 3 and 4 but the fact that God has enabled me to by systematic and consistent makes me confident that he will also help me to be conversational and meditational (is that even a word?!) If you are someone that hasn't read through the Bible, I challenge you to join me this year! God really makes himself known through the pages of his word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

play me some mountain music.

Beautiful Letdown.

It's ok to not be ok.