Beautiful Letdown.



It was a beautiful let down
When I crashed and burned
When I found myself alone, unknown and hurt
It was a beautiful let down
The day I knew
That all the riches this world had to offer me
Would never do.

In a world full of bitter pain and bitter doubt
I was trying so hard to fit in, fit in,
Until I found out
I don't belong here.
(Beautiful Letdown, Switchfoot)

Sometimes, I am so easily distracted. Have you ever noticed that it's when you are doing something important, like homework, chores, QUIET TIME WITH THE LORD, that all of a sudden your mind gets filled with all these "super important" (not really, though) things that just skip a million levels on the priority ladder? Since when was checking the weather more important than seeking the face of God early in the morning?
The answer is never; it's never more important. I just get distracted from what is important.

This past weekend, I heard something incredibly profound. A pastor said that as we grow in faith, we begin to see this world for what it really is--shadows. Wow. All the joys and pleasures that this world has to offer, both great and small, deteriorate to nearly nothing when compared to what lies ahead for us in eternity with Jesus. When you look at the definition of faith given to us in Hebrews 11, it makes so much sense! Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. We cannot see Heaven, but because of faith we can be sure that it exists and is awaiting our arrival. Just like a child in the womb has almost nothing with which to compare anything to until it arrives into a world bursting with new experiences and colors, that's how incomparable heaven is to anything here.

This pastor then asked the age-old question: Why does a good God allow suffering? The answer was one that I had not heard before. Our good God allows suffering to remind us that we don't belong here. This isn't how God intended us to exist. But in the end, he is going to reconcile everything that is broken to a state of unfathomable perfection. Paul says in Romans 8:18 that the present sufferings are not worthy to be compared to the coming glory that will be revealed to us.

For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come. Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name.
Hebrews 13:14-15

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

play me some mountain music.

It's ok to not be ok.